Sometimes you try and follow the general wisdom out there but it just doesn't work!
German Shepherds are susceptible to gastric dilatation-volvulus (or GDV, which is also known as "bloat" or "twisted stomach"). There is a long list of do's and don't's. With my previous German Shepherd, my wonderful Willie, I followed all the recommendations:
- feed the dog two or three meals daily
- prevent rapid eating
- avoid exercise immediatly before and after eating
- avoid large quantities of water after eating
- no eating from a raised feeding bowl
- avoid stress and excitement immediately before and after meals by feeding the dog individually in a quiet location
And Willie still got GDV! It was awful and I feel lucky that he survived. We are trying to follow these recommendations for Bodie also but he is just not cooperating. He won't eat his breakfast! I can't believe it! What dog won't eat breakfast? Bodie!
He acts as if we are torturing him when we feed him a morning meal. He turns his head, he circles, he whines, he sticks his nose up, he gets really upset if we try and feed him breakfast! So much for avoiding stress! We have varied the food, the location we feed him, the time of morning, but he does not like breakfast. But we never have a problem with Bodie eating his dinner. So he only gets one meal a day. I feel like we are doing something wrong, but you do what you can...